Friday, February 2, 2018

Maze Runner: The Death Cure - Movie Review (3/5 stars)

By Hamza Shafique (Instagram / Facebook)


Wes Ball's Maze Runner: The Death Cure is like a perfectly cooked food but the only problem is, it's not what I ordered. This is the third instalment in dystopian Young Adult Science Fiction trilogy based on the books of same name by James Dashner. It's a well-directed, action packed film with some great cast and acting. I loved the first Maze Runner and I still remember the details after a couple of years which is a sign of a great movie. Second one I am not sure if I have seen it or not, as I could recall it in bits in pieces but not entirely. So, when I was going for this one I had no idea what to expect or how the story has evolved from the first film but still expected it to be equally captivating as the first one.



Screenplay is based on a book so there is not much room for writers from story line perspective. We have everything here that a dystopian Young Adult film can have, we got zombies, evil organization, futuristic guarded cities and a virus that desperately needs a cure, yes, we have all of that here and also with in a very nice blend. But it’s also the same reason I say it's not what I ordered, as none of this was there in the first one, which made the first Maze Runner unique among the movies of this genre. The thrill of not knowing what kind of world they are in made it very interesting but with this one it gets into the typical young adult zone. Again, I will mention it’s not bad to be typical, it's simply I had other expectations.
Screenplay is very well written and has all elements placed perfectly but the story line is very simple so a run time of 142 minutes feels like a stretch regardless of how well paced the screenplay is. Another problem I have with the storyline here is the fact that our protagonist is only focused on saving his friend when he has the capacity to save the world. Which makes villains not so villainous and thus hard to root for the hero. But then it’s a purely personal opinion and you might not find it as an issue. I just like my heroes in dystopian science fiction world to have bigger missions and save the entire human race rather than just their friends.




Apart from above mentioned few concern there is absolutely no flaw in the film, everything is pitch perfect.

Action sequences are thrilling and choreographed well. Dylan O'Brien as Thomas has the perfect charisma and screen presence for this role and his chemistry with Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Newt is the highlight of this episode.

It's a fun action-packed ensemble and if you are into this genre then it’s a must watch I go with 3 stars.

I want to thank Novo Cinemas for the invite for the advance screening of the film and opportunity to participate in their Guinness world record attempt for the world’s largest human maze, which was achieved as well. Novo Cinema is the king when it comes to marketing a film and I really appreciate them for always inviting me to their events. This is a perfect movie for 4D experience, offered at Novo cinemas.

Few Pictures from the event:





No comments:

Post a Comment