Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Better Watch Out - Movie Review (3.5/5 stars)

By Hamza Shafique (Instagram / Facebook)


Chris Peckover’s “Better Watch Out” is a one crazy film and I loved it. It’s a weird yet entertaining blend of Horror, Comedy and Thriller, something which is very rare in this genre. I will be honest I am not a big fan of such films because most of the time they tend to get on sillier side, plot is always clichéd and acting in such films is just limited to loud screams/frantic running. This one, luckily has nothing of that sort. In fact, amidst all the big familiar releases from all over these days, this one comes out as refreshing reminder that’s this genre exists. “Better Watch Out” makes people being killed and tortured very pleasurable. 


I can’t say much about the story as it is full of twists and even a single harmless hint can destroy the experience for you, in fact I will suggest don’t even watch any trailer before you go for this one. Film starts as a usual home invasion film with some really good scares and then moves quickly to become an eviler version of “Home Alone” film series. Screenplay is well written, with not even a single dull moment. The language used is very strong/vulgar and succeeded in making the Desi (traditional south Asian) in me uncomfortable. So, I will suggest pick and choose your movie buddy for this one wisely. Movies of this genre usually follow same formula as first 15 minutes are dedicated to set the idea and character introductions, then rest of the movie just relies on their struggle of survival. This one doesn’t follow that formula and I think that’s what makes it different/entertaining. Every 15 to 30 minutes something unexpected happens and with-it plot’s level of craziness increases. What I am trying to say is the story is not one directional, every 15 to 30 minutes story takes an unexpected turn and the level of intensity changes along with it. These turns in the story direction and shifts in intensity keep the whole thing interesting till very end. I wish I could elaborate this point but I really don’t want to give any spoiler and ruin the fun for you.


Considering the genre and the fact that it’s a teen movie, “Better Watch Out” is surprisingly a very well-directed and acted film. Chris Pecker has kept the tone very realistic, free from exaggerated loud screams and actions. Olivia DeJonge, Ed Oxenbould and Levi Zane Miller all have done a very convincing job, perfect casting I must say. I really enjoyed Levi Zane Miller as Luke, he fits the part flawlessly and is definitely the star of this bizarre spectacular.
Overall “Better Watch Out” is a crazy fun film. I think this film is not for everyone but If you enjoy this genre and are tired of flashy super heroes/big budget period dramas then go for this. I promise you will not be disappointed, just watch out for the language. I go with 3.5 stars.
I also would like thank Reel Cinemas for the Media Screening invites and making this review possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment