Friday, January 17, 2020

Bad Boys for Life - Movie Review

By Hamza Shafique (Instagram / Facebook)


Finally a Will Smith movie that I enjoyed. I havent seen the previous Bad Boys movies and the only thing familiar was the franchise theme song . That is why cant really comment how it was vs. it's predecessors but to be honest, to enjoy this one you don't really need to know the predecessors, which is a big plus point for me in any franchise. This movie follows a tried and tested formula and it works here. A muscular stylish bachelor partnered with a funny family (wife fearing) man, bringing necessary relatable humor and exciting action together while they chase bad guys and solve crimes.



This film felt very much like a bollywood masala film in parts , there is one scene where one guy is in ICU recovering while other one is infront of God doing Amitabh Bachan style " Baghwan aj tak mein nay tujh say kuch nahin manga , magar aj mangta hoon (God, to this day I have not asked you for anything, but I ask for it now)". And then there are many more such moments throughout that are easily familiar for a desi audience, another plus point .
Overall a very simple narrative told through a crisp screenplay with very clever dialogues. There is a perfect blend of action, comedy and performance. I am specially happy that finally a good Will Smith movie, last Will Smith movie that I liked was Pursuit of Happiness, after that I havent seen all of his films but the very few I saw were all average to horrible including releases in last 5 to 6 years , like Aladin, After Earth, Gemini Man, Suicide Squad etc. to name a few.


This film benefits from Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah fresh direction along with the chemistry between Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. As I said earlier, comedy works , action excites , narrative is simple and overall movie is easy on eyes and senses. Go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment